9.14.2009

Jared just completed the race he has been training for all year (spin class all winter, and road biking all summer): LOTOJA! This is a 206 mile race that begins in Logan, Utah, and ends in Jackson, Wyoming. Caution--ya think?! (This is a picture of a sticker that goes in the support crew vehicles.) This was Jared's second year to race. I am SUPER proud of him (once again) for making it!
Meet our riders: Jared, his brother Mark, and his father, Dan. They got called "The Three Amigos" by a photographer along the way because of their--shall we say interesting?--jerseys. I complained that the jerseys were ugly all season, but they sure made it easy to find our riders!
Meet the wonderful support crew--Jared's mom Barbara, and me! I love being able to come and support Jared while he rides. My favorite is passing Jared in the truck and cheering him on. I guess my cheering scared Dan--sorry about that--but the smiles are worth it!
In this shot, Dan is getting something from his shirt pocket to eat.
And now he's eating it. Kinda gross? I suppose I'm used to it by now. They have to eat a ton to have enough energy to ride. Jared hadn't eaten enough along the way and felt like his legs were going to seize up and stop working by the time he reached the last stop. His Dad wouldn't let him quit, and on he went. Cue the wife-freaking-out music!
Barbara and I waited for over an hour at the finish, not knowing whether or not Jared had made it up the last canyon.
WAHOO-the announcer called all three of their names! Here they are about to cross the finish line. Jared said he rode on 15-20 more miles before getting a second wind. I'm SO proud of him for finishing!!! Their total riding time was 11 hours!
This is a shot of the elevation changes from Logan to Jackson. When I saw this (after the race was over) I about died!
LOTOJA is a really amazing and completely insane race! I really can't believe these guys--they're courageous and nuts at the same time! Their fastest speeds were around 50 mph--don't want to think about crashing at that speed. My very favorite thing about LOTOJA this year: Barbara was asking Lia, Nora, and Millie if they knew how far their Dads had ridden in the race. Lia was ULTRA impressed by 206 miles and asked, "WOW, how many dogs did you see?" Unfortunately, in his delirium, Jared forgot to look for dogs.
Great job Jared, Mark, and Dan!

No comments: