
Jared took our family to Porcupine Reservoir a week ago to see the salmon run. I was pretty skeptical that we would see any--pretty much I was sure that only happened in Alaska. How wrong I turned out to be! There were hundreds of bright red salmon making their way up current. We had a picnic, and then watched them for a good long while. It was the neatest thing to see! Don't worry--I documented it!


Here are a couple pictures of the salmon trying to make their way upstream. When we first arrived, it was almost painful to watch them--what a struggle! This all made quite an impression on our sensitive Lia, who said, "Why are they willing to do it if it's so hard?" It was cute, and I thought I ought to be able to draw a parallel to her life, ("Sometimes in life we have to swim against the current . . . .") but I guess I'm just not smart enough because nothing came to me. Even Nora was struck by what the fish were trying to do. She said, "Dey're doe-ing de wong way, it's too hod!" (They're going the wrong way, it's too hard.)
I discovered that most of the time they were just treading water. Then they'd suddenly make a move 1-2 feet ahead. We saw them swim up little rapids, and some of them fall right back down and loose as much as 20 feet of progress! It was super cool to see nature at work like that. I liked! Maybe one day I'll come up with an amazing life parallel.

This was the picnic part of the trip. I absolutely love this picture of Nora!
What an amazing world!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment