This is a letter from my Grandma Landon, who passed away in January at the age of 98. Apparently, (I remember this only vaguely) I asked her to write her life philosophy for me. I believe it was for an English paper I was writing. My Grandma was an amazing woman! Aside from the obvious good and positive life she lived, I love that she is well-read and quotes poetry. What a blessing to have had her for my Grandmother!
MY PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE
Beliefs, attitudes, and concepts. Webster thus defines philosophy. How does one summarize in a few words the gist of those things acquired throughout a long life? But for you, my dear granddaughter, I’ll try to list a few of the things that seem important to me.
I believe a positive approach is better than a negative one, especially in dealing with people. They respond better to compliments than criticism. As the old adage says: “You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.”
I believe in optimism. It makes life more pleasant for those around us, and it certainly makes one happier to feel cheerful inside. “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.” Samuel Johnson wrote, “It is worth a thousand pounds a year to have the habit of looking on the bright side of things.”
One can find much joy in small things: the beauty of a flower, a colorful sunset, a hummingbird’s flight, the voice of a friend, the trill of a meadowlark, a baby’s toothless smile, the flavors of fresh fruits, or whatever one’s tastes may be, if we take a moment to savor them.
Taking care to do things right and be accurate is worthwhile. I find it much more satisfying than to give something a lick and a promise and then have to do it over. I believe in stick-to-it-iveness—staying with a job until it is finished—persistence.
I believe in self improvement. We all need to realize we are responsible for ourselves, set some goals for progress, and work toward them. The worthwhile things seldom come without effort. Life is a precious gift, and great things can be achieved by people who work toward them. I wish I had done so more consistently. I like this little verse by Eva Willes Wangsgaard:
It’s not the prize I won that set me flying
My little banner starred with joy and pride;
But this: I struggled through the body’s crying
And did not heed the ache to turn aside.”
I believe prayers are answered. I believe in seeking guidance and listening for inspiration. Help is available to meet any of the challenges of life for those who seek it. Wasn’t it Tennyson who wrote, “More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.”
Well, you can see that I’m a believer. My dear, I will be interested to hear what your philosophy of life is.
Glenda Cole Landon
12/6/96. Written for Katie for a school assignment.
No comments:
Post a Comment