6.26.2013

an actual vacation

Jared and I are usually content to spend our summers (and the rest of the year, for that matter) at home.  We usually go to Bear Lake with Jared's Mom during the summer, and call it our vacation.  Our kids never go anywhere cool....Till this year.  

Jared's Mom and Dad invited us to spend four days with them in Brian Head, Utah, where Dan and Jared would compete in some biking events at the Utah Summer Games.  After a full two days of preparation by the female half of the family (because it takes that long when you own a Porter Boy), we were on our way.  I admit to being EXCITED!  And because I have already written the details of this trip in length, I will be brief and say that it was a totally awesome vacation. (I can hook you up with ALL the details if you want 'em!)  Maybe we'll even take the kids to a second cool place--who knows!  (Next year, of course :) 

This is dinner at the Parowan Cafe, the afternoon we traveled to the cabin.  I traded Nora meals half-way through mine, eating her completely disgusting chicken-fried steak, which she had appropriately hated.  Now you are warned about eating at this establishment in Parowan, Utah.



The cabin is owned by a friend of Dan and Barbara's, and was extremely nice and comfortable.  Nora found the board game "Clue", and spent every waking moment playing it. 





Lia and I went out exploring when we were all settled in.  She collected rocks, as she is wont to do.



The next morning, we went to see Jared and Dan start the hill climb.  While we waited for them to come back, the girls and Porter played by the river, and Barbara and I tried to contain them.  Don't you love Nora's bubble-blowing face?

(I got the no-spill bubbles, specifically for Lia.  She spills her bubbles every time!)


I had just ordered these new diggers and trucks for Porter with some of his birthday money.  Boy was he excited!




Dan at the starting line.  He ended up taking the gold for his age group--woot!


This picture cracks me up!  This is a random lady who was talking to Jared at the starting line.  Just as Barbara was taking the picture of Dan riding away, she jumped in front of the camera.  So there you go--a lovely picture of Dan's backside.  Barbara always seems to have camera fiascos of some sort on vacations! 


Jared at the starting line.


And he's off!  Jared had injured his knee recently, and was really only riding for fun.  He took silver, because there were only two in his age group :)  Lia and Nora think this is super duper neat, anyway.  He gave them both a medal. 


The best is yet to come!


No comments: