Day 6!
It's a big deal to turn ten.
That's just what Lia did, whether I wanted her to, or not. But I'm going to keep her, just the same. Lia is a joy to have in our family. She is light-hearted, sympathetic, care-free, and fun. And she will face her tenth year as she has every other: with a skip in her step and song on the breeze.
For Lia's birthday, Jared decided to sign her up for tennis lessons through Providence City. Lia is always wanting to sign up for this, that, or the other, and we have yet to sign her up for anything other than swimming lessons and one year of horse-riding lessons. Accordingly, Jared went out and purchased a couple of tennis rackets and some balls, and I spent a very interesting 1/2 hour at the city offices to sign her up, while Porter did what he does to make life interesting.
Lia has been so looking forward to starting her tennis lessons. As luck would have it, her first one was today, so I can report that she LOVED it! She was beset with longing when it was over, and tried in her might to find a way to keep playing. I had to stop her from hitting the ball against the garage door, so she resigned herself to wait till Thursday for her next lesson.
Lia's fourth grade program on their studies of Utah took place after school on her birthday. This is my cheery girl showing up again--telling everyone in excitement that she got to perform on her birthday! I took the kids and Jared's Mom to go watch her. She was playing the Indian drums for one song, so she decided to dress up like an Indian Princess. This new birthday dress worked out so well, don't you think? And that is a real turkey feather in her hair, which she picked up at the farm where we buy our chicken and eggs. It's so very Lia to have a feather sitting around for an occasion such as this!
We had family over for cake and presents. (Porter was very satisfied by another visit from Grandpa, since that's what birthdays are for!) Lia chose pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. I went out on a limb and sweetened the entire thing with honey, which luckily turned out just fine (after throwing out the first batch of icing). Thanks for coming, fam!!! Lia was tentative about having everyone over to make a big deal about her, but ended up glad she chose to share her celebration.
After a pretty abysmal attempt at a friend party last year, Lia reminded me that I told her we could try again this year. I don't remember saying so, not at all. But she talked me into throwing her an informal little birthday bash with her two best friends from school. Nora invited a friend from school, as well, and they all went swimming together. Lia has now had three friend parties in her life, and this one was the best, by far. Hooray!
Happy birthday, Little Miss! I love your cheeriness and your smiles and your desire to help all around you partake in happiness and light. I love your love of animals and nature. I love your helpfulness and your desire to choose the right. Thanks for being our Lia!




No comments:
Post a Comment