7.21.2013

a stroll through the garden

On our trip to Utah County for the Fourth of July, we were disappointed by the canceled hot air balloon show, and a rained-out play (The Sound of Music).  We were not disappointed in the least, however, by our trip to Thanksgiving Point to see their gardens.  It was Jared's idea to go, and I'm so glad he suggested it.  After walking through (and not having nearly enough time), I came out with this thought, "That place is amazing!"

With Lia, Porter, and cousin Abbey in tow, we first visited the children's discovery garden which was NOT worth it.  I am slightly bitter that we wasted our time in there when we could have been enjoying the other gardens all the while.  Even the kids liked the main gardens as well, or better than the kids area.

You may have noticed that Nora was absent. . . . We left her at Grandma's house. . . on purpose.  Jared and I have wised up since our hike into Bryce Canyon. All we had to do was tell her we were going to "hike" through some gardens, and she opted out.  (Though initially, and preciously, she wanted to come, thinking you just got to walk around picking and eating vegetables.)  We were super glad (in a sad way) that she was hanging out with cousins while we enjoyed the gorgeous surroundings, whine-free.

I couldn't do this place justice with my camera, not remotely, so I borrowed some of these images from other sites.  I can't recommend this place highly enough, if you're into growing things, or just beautiful nature.  Jared says he is going back all alone to spend an entire day there :)


A climbing apparatus in the children's garden.



I'm a sucker for bridges--so romantic.

Lia was thrilled with the lily pads and the koi. 



A most amazing rose garden!




Abbey and Lia way up at the top of the Vista Mound.


The Italian Garden.



Lia in the entrance to the Secret Garden--a favorite of everyone!  It was totally enclosed by a brick wall, with a tunnel and big wooden doors at the entrance.  So cool!


Inside the secret garden.




In my search for pictures to add to this post, I found some places we didn't even see--had to get Porter home for a nap.  We'll definitely have to go back some time.  I hear the tulip festival is amazing. . . .

No comments: